- Advantaged taking ownership of social development and the disadvantaged participating in empowerment.
- Creation of synergy among economically disadvantaged communities.
- Development of individuals and communities via non-profit organizations.
- Development of leaders for social, economic, and environmentally responsible development in every sphere of work and life in India.
Accomplishments to date
- Mobile Library Program: A mobile library with books has been going to Sphoorti Foundation and children have been picking a book of their choice every fortnight.
Mentoring groups of 3-4 younger children with an older child as a mentor were trained to participate in the mobile library activities associated with "reading." Children participating in the program are required to read the book and reinterpret the story through drawings, sketches, poems, essays and paintings.
The goals of the Mobile Library program are:
- Development of responsibility among children.
- Improvement of reading skills and development of a reading habit.
- Development of mentoring and leadership potential among group leaders (older children).
- Inculcating associated and informal learning through relationships between reading and drawing /painting.
The items 1,3 and 4 have been received well by the kids and implemented with great success. Although not all children have taken to reading as a habit ( item 2), a majority of them ask for books every week even before the return date approaches. This is an encouraging trend.
- English Grammar Classes: The children are being trained to improve their English speaking, writing skills and their English grammar skills are being honed.
- Arts Program: GIK (INDIA) now has an active volunteer base of music, drawing teachers as well as other arts teachers who are coaching the children in nurturing their talents and skills.
- Toy Program: Children are eligible to pick a toy of their choice once they show responsible behavior and have completed art-based activities for four consecutive weeks. All the children received toys for Christmas in December 2010 from "Santa Claus"!